Solved

Transferring data from WalkMe to Heap via webhooks

• 31 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello everyone,

I am busy creating webhooks in WalkMe to transfer the information to Heap.
In my webhooks, I have the 3 mandatory event properties : "identity", "app_id" and "event".
So far it works, I can transfer the information.

Now where it's stuck, is that I would like to transfer two other properties.
My problem is when in Walkme, I can't use the property "properties" with dynamic data in it.
Is there any other way to pass the 2 information than via the property "properties"?

If anyone knows the answer, I would be really interested.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Josh Roberts 1 February 2023, 17:13

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Aurelio I believe any custom properties that are added in WalkMe will pass a static value that is defined on the webhook.  Is that not the case in your testing, or are they not passing through to Heap? Perhaps this document will be helpful  https://support.walkme.com/knowledge-base/how-to-send-walkme-event-data-to-3rd-party-systems-using-webhooks/

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Josh Roberts ,

I totally agree with you, custom properties allow to add only static values.
What I would like to do is to pass two values that WalkMe retrieves: "wm.userVars.name" and "wm.userVars.type".

If I add them without renaming them, the test is failed.
If I rename one of them with the label "properties", the test fails too.
I can't go through the custom properties because they are static values.

That's why I was wondering if it was possible to create two other properties directly in heap to be able to transfer the two values from WalkMe.
But looking at the documentation on the Heap API, I don't have the impression that it is possible. (https://developers.heap.io/reference/track-1)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Aurelio  I want to make sure I’m understanding correctly. Do you wish to use the value in wm.userVars.name as the identity when it’s sent to Heap, and then wm.userVars.type as the event name in Heap?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you for your help @Josh Roberts 

No, it's really additional information.
For now, I'll pass:

• "identity"
  • "app_id"
  • "event"

And I'd like to pass in two more variables:

• "wm.userVars.name" which would give additional information about the user.
  • "wm.userVars.type" which would give the path of the page.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Aurelio,

After speaking with our development team, we believe we can improve our integration to include these properties to users in Heap. I believe that is the request since these properties should already be attached to the Event.That being said, the Heap User Track currently adds all properties to the Event, so with this change, these properties would be mapped to both the event and the user. Is that the desired outcome?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

I'm really sorry for the wait but the question has been sent back to the analysts and it took a long time.
Finally, they will link the WalkMe and Heap events with the common data of both databases.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and your speed.