Solved

Android Devices - Marketing Names

• 20 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

Is there a plan to “translate” the Android devices into their marketing names?

I found this official list on google play -

https://storage.googleapis.com/play_public/supported_devices.html

It will be so much more useful compared to the current device models.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Nora-Heap 20 March 2023, 19:27

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hey @Shai G.A thanks for sharing that link! I’ve just upvoted a feature request for Heap to support this functionality out of the box. 

As an approximate workaround, you can create a defined property that groups the device data Heap is autocapturing and labels the right marketing device name.  

Looking at the link you shared, the list is extremely long, and there’s a lot of very similar rows that we could actually generalize into groupings within a defined property in Heap. It’s a bit of work up front but once you have the defined property it applies to all historical data and you can always modify or add to the defined property without having to worry about data loss. 

One example of a grouping

In Heap, I’m seeing a lot of Android Device data that looks like this:

• SM-A715F → Samsung Galaxy A71
  • SM-A536B → Samsung Galaxy A53 5G
  • SM-A528B → Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
  • SM-A137F → Samsung Galaxy A13
  • SM-A127F → Samsung Galaxy A12
  • SM-A217F → Samsung Galaxy A21s

These are all Samsung Galaxy A phones and all share the same Device Code: SM-A****. They are slightly different versions, but these are likely small details such as phone versions or specific variations based on different available features/specs. We could create a condition in our defined property that classifies all of these as “Samsung Galaxy A” phones:

Samsung seems to follow a similar pattern for their devices:

• SM-N → Samsung Note
  • SM-F → Samsung Flip
  • SM-G or SM-S → Samsung Galaxy S (you could add OR filters to the above example if you want to group all Galaxy phones as one group)

Some Devices are coming through as their marketing names (example: Redmi Note 8 Pro). You can choose to group these together to generalize them across versions. If you want to retain the original value from the autocaptured Device property, you can do so with a condition at the very bottom of the property. (Defined property conditions are evaluated in the order they are listed in Heap). Use a condition at the very end of the defined property that returns the Device property value if the property is defined, which is a catch-all condition. Screenshot below for reference:

Starting with the device data Heap is autocapturing (a basic report of Android sessions grouped by Device), it’s possible to build this defined property that groups device data into meaningful groupings of Marketing device names. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks, it would be awesome if it could be supported out of the box. And I will definitely try the detailed workaround that you suggested.