Solved

Can I implement Heap in a Chrome Extension?

• 18 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi all,

I work at guidde.com.

Our product includes a Chrome Extension that lets users quickly create how-to videos.

I’d like to have FULL VISIBILITY over everything that users do in the extension, obviously.

Mixpanel have a dedicated help article about this.

https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004561806-Implement-Mixpanel-In-A-Chrome-Extension

Is it simple and easy to do with Heap? If so, can someone please refer me to a help article?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by dlad 19 December 2022, 19:15

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hey there!

Thanks for inquiring. It’s possible to install Heap on an html/js based extension, but it’s not a use case we recommend for autocapture. With extensions, the risk of autocapturing PII is heightened. For example, you have an overlay extension that modifies the DOM and someone checks their gmail. It’s not entirely clear what will be captured and largely depends on the functionality of the extension. 

I took a look at the MP article, thanks for sharing that! It wasn’t clear to me that there are any specific capture or analysis recommendations in the article, beyond “install it on Chrome extensions.” You can certainly install Heap on an extension, but it’s not something we recommend as a primary use case. 

Badge +1

Thanks for your answer. True, I wouldn’t want Heap to autocapture the entire DOM.

I am aiming to autocapture (or even just manually capture) the extension panel itself. 

I’m adding a screenshot of our extension panel to give you an idea.

Does Heap support this use case?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

In theory, yes. If you do install Heap, please review the captured data for potential PII! That’s my best advice for installing on Extensions. Give it a go in a development environment and see how the data looks.