Solved

Initial Landing Page include in a file

• 19 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello all,

I’m trying to create a segment with users who has the initial landing page that is contains in a file.

I’ve added in the file all the urls. 

Is it possible to do so? If yes, why do I have no results?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by dlad 19 May 2023, 22:14

View original

3 replies

Yes, it is possible to create a segment based on the initial landing pages included in a file.

Here are some important points to consider while debugging the segment definition you are creating:

1. ‘Initial landing page’ property within Heap does not capture the ‘Query’ and ‘Hash’ parameters of the URL. These are captured as a separate property within Heap, ‘Initial Landing page Query’ and ‘Initial Landing page Hash’.

For Example:  

www.example.com/search?q=example&category=books#definitions

Initial Landing page                Initial Landing Page Query      Initial Landing Page Hash

1. If you want to use Query or Hash part of the URL then you need to create a separate filter using the ‘Initial Landing page Query’ and ‘Initial Landing page Hash’ properties.
  2. Check the format of the URLs in the text file.
    1. Paste only the domain+path of the initial landing page. For example: “www.analytixlabs.co.in/courses/DVA
    2. Multiple entries should be separated by new lines (do not use commas in between)
    3. Do not copy the protocol part of the URL, i.e., https:// or http://
  3. Test if Heap is properly initialized and installed on the pages included in the text file. Open the URLs and go to the browser console, then type 'heap'. It should return the Heap APP ID and related functions. This step ensures that Heap is functioning correctly on those pages.
  4. Confirm that the APP ID of the environment where you are creating the segment matches the Heap APP ID on the landing pages.

By considering these pointers and the specific properties within Heap, you should be able to successfully create the desired user segment. If you encounter any further issues then please share the file you are uploading, and we may validate it for you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Djon, yes, it should be possible! The file should be formatted as a single column of URLs, and note that it’s an exact match criteria. Take a look at the initial landing pages for a few of these users in the Users & Sessions view. Do the URLs in the file exactly match some of the examples you come across? Unfortunately, there is no “contains” or wildcard matching functionality when using the Included in File filter.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Djon, yes, it should be possible! The file should be formatted as a single column of URLs, and note that it’s an exact match criteria. Take a look at the initial landing pages for a few of these users in the Users & Sessions view. Do the URLs in the file exactly match some of the examples you come across? Unfortunately, there is no “contains” or wildcard matching functionality when using the Included in File filter.

Hello, Thanks for the answer. 
Yes my files contains only 1 column with the exact url - with one row per url.
I have the domain + path. I’ll try again.