Solved

Is it possible to make events inherit a user property ?

• 29 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi,

We’re trying Heap on our app and wanted to compare usage on different version.

For the moment, we are using addUserProperties to get the product version in heap but the problem is that if we upgrade version for a user, all the previous related events would no longer be associated to the previous version and we won’t be able to compare usage with the newest one.

To avoid this problem, I tried to create an event property wich take the version value from the user property but Heap don’t allow it.

I was wondering if what I try to do is possible if we continue using only autocapture ?

Thanks for your help.

icon

Best answer by danielle 6 January 2023, 22:29

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Gauthier!

Great question! As you’ve mentioned, if you’re hoping to track something that will change over time, the best way to do this will be as an event property. Heap doesn’t currently support creating an event property from a user property, but there are a few ways to get this information into Heap.

If you’re tracking events on a mobile app, Heap will autocapture the app version as a session property.

If you’re tracking events on the web, this can be accomplished either via our addEventProperties API or a Snapshot. This will allow you to track what the version was on every event and allow you to run reports that would give you insight into what version the user was using at the time the event occurred. Of note, unlike auto-captured data, adding new properties will not be retroactive and will only be collected from the point of implementation going forward.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Best,

Danielle