Solved

Snapshot on Custom Events

Badge

Hi, 

I’m trying to add snapshot properties to be able to use them on Chameleon through the Heap Integration, but the events definitions page has the add snapshot option greyed out even for admin users. 

Any ideas? 

thanks! 

icon

Best answer by jonathan 15 February 2023, 03:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @Nacho Duarte - Welcome to the community! I’m coordinating with Heap support to get you an answer.

Dave

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @Nacho Duarte ,

By default, only Admins and Architects can access Snapshots. My guess is that you don’t have the right permissions in Heap to be able to create these. I would check with your admin and ask them to upgrade your permission level in Heap.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hey @Nacho Duarte — I think the other answers may have missed a detail in your post. While Admins and Architects are the only non-custom roles that are permitted to add Snapshots (you are creating data, not just labeling data, so the permissions are higher), no one can add snapshots custom events. This is simply not supported.

Under the hood, Snapshot configs get added to the heapjs tracker code that is loaded on your site. They are stored as key:value pairs where the event selector is the key, and the snapshot is the value. When heapjs “sees” an event matching the selector, it runs some code to get the snapshot value, and then adds it to the request that’s sent to Heap, where you can analyze it. 

Custom events are sent via heap.track API calls, whether from the server or the browser, and as such, Snapshots are not supported. If you want to add additional metadata to a custom event, you should do so in the body of the track call. 

Integration events like those from Chameleon are a special case of custom events, and of course you can’t add additional metadata to those, as they are automated, but the same principle holds.

If you have suggestions for additional data to be added to such events, you can make a suggestion via the app.