Solved

Unique Page View Events based on URL query

• 13 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have a page view event I am tracking for an appointment booking confirmation page. I’ve observed that this count doesn’t accurately represent the true number of appointments booked, because a percentage of people will navigate back to this page after navigating elsewhere. 

I am also tracking the Unique User Count of this event, however this excludes those who make several appointments within a certain period which is common. 

The url for this page has a query with a unique ID for each appointment, so I am looking for a way to get a count of the page views where the query is unique. So essentially the first time the user lands on the page, the event is counted, but if they navigate back to the page, it isn’t. And if they make a separate appointment (where the ID in the query is unique) a new event will be counted. 

I’m struggling to find an operator or filter that can accomplish this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Christy H 14 July 2022, 23:58

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hey @henry, is the question you are trying to answer “How many appointments are being booked in a given time period?” If so, I have a few solutions I will suggest below. If not, please reply so that we can try to get you what you need.

1. The first solution that I could offer would be to implement a manual track call that only fires when someone successfully books a new appointment which would give you the most accurate answer to your question. Then a simple graph of  Count - New Appointment Booked would get you what you need.
  2. Additionally, you could think about looking at a click event instead of your pageview event. Is there something like a Book Appointment button that users click to confirm that they want to schedule the appointment? While this number could still be slightly inflated for a few reasons, it would remove the users who are just re-viewing the appointment confirmation page and might be closer to the number you are looking for.

I hope one of those helps but if not, please let us know!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey @Christy H thanks for this info. We’re testing out the track call. So it looks like if we map our unique appointment ID to the idempotency_key this will prevent duplication? 

#2 is a good idea as well, once the first is working I’ll definitely look at that to compare, but I do know that number is inflated since the button gets some dead clicks from people who didn’t finish all the fields. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Follow up question to this. I noticed that in this article on Server Side Events, it states that “They are not sessionized with client side events”. 

I’m looking to analyze appointments booked grouped by various UTM parameters for the session, so do this mean this will not work? Will it show all the events as “Direct”?

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hey @henry , I’m not sure what your exact setup looks like but we do also offer client side tracking ability which is sessionized https://developers.heap.io/reference/client-side-apis-overview. There are of course limitations to client-side tracking as well which is why you likely wanted to go the server side route.

If you’d like more specific help, you may want to contact our fantastic support team who can really dig in to your particular needs!