Solved

Users who have not made it past login

• 4 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi everyone,

I’m new to heap but absolutely love it thus far! I’m trying to create our own login metric to understand what percentage of users that visit the site are able to log in. Heap begins the session at the point a client visits the site however, this actually inflates the number of users that we’ve reported historically. 

I was wondering if there was a way to be able to identify a new segment of users that were never able to log in tot he site? The users could potentially land at a number of pages after submitting login information, I just want to see how many sessions / users were unable to access the site so that I can recreate an accurate number of logins. 

Any help would be greatly appreciate! 

THanks,

Mike

icon

Best answer by Trevin 10 October 2022, 21:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @mdensmore, I hope I have understood you well, have you tried the following graph? Filtering by “users who have not done” the event you are looking for, could give you and idea of how many users that segment contains.

Badge +1

Thanks! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

On top of what @ireinoso suggested, here are few other ways to approach this:

Create a segment of registered/authenticated users

This type of segment can be helpful to filter other reports or funnels. 

Create a conversion funnel

To directly answer your question of “what percentage of users that visit the site are able to log in”:

Obviously that can be sign up or sign in  depending what you are looking for.

If you are not trying to do an aggregate report over time, do a “conversion rate over time” report:

The power of this type of report is that you can view trends over time.  One of my biggest requests for heap is to combine these 2 report types so we can toggle between aggregate and trending views of these types of reports as they are separate reports now but are really the same report.

Create a custom event

You also said:

“I just want to see how many sessions / users were unable to access the site so that I can recreate an accurate number of logins. “

Given the importance of sign up and sign in on most sites, I recommend if you don’t already have it, to create a custom heap event tied to sign in or sign up completion. This can either be an event created in heap based on a completion success page, or a custom event your engineers implement in your frontend code.  Given importance of this event, I always recommend the latter.  The risk of doing it based on a pageview is that if the URL structures ever change in the future, you’ll be caught chasing URL/pageview definitions for your events (trust me, I speak from experience).