Solved

Using self defined segments to define other segments

Badge

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the product :)

I would like to define some segments using already defined other segments. (for instance to exclude a defined list of users, without actually type them each time).

Also how can I use an already defined property in order to define other property?

Thanks a lot!

icon

Best answer by jonathan 27 May 2022, 18:18

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hey @Lironp — Currently we don’t support using Segments inside Segments or Defined Properties inside Defined Properties. 

For the Segment, the example you provide is probably best solved by using the included in file filter to relatively quickly exclude a list of users without retyping them over and over.

Other use cases would probably need to have the behavioral logic recreated. I’d be curious to hear more about your specific situation if you want to share. 

Same question for the Defined Properties use case: we commonly are asked about using Defined Properties in Defined Events but less so in properties. Would love to hear more specifics!

Badge

Hi,

It would be really helpful to be able to put segments within other segments, so then we don’t have to redefine definitions that already exist in segments. Additionally if we need to change segment logic, we could change it in one place, and it would flow through to other segments using the segment whose logic changed.

For example, I need to make a paid marketing Segment. I already have Google Paid, Bing Paid, Facebook Paid (etc. etc. etc.).  I want to create one paid marketing segment, using each of the already defined paid marketing segments, so if I ever change the definition of Google Paid segment, it would automatically flow into the paid marketing segment.  Since I can’t, I need to remember where do I use the specific google paid logic.  This may seem an obvious thing to remember and go do, but at scale, there can be many examples of this and they may not be as obvious! 

Would love to see it happen!