Solved

Visual data feed - Event not retrieving data

• 4 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi all,

I'm currently using the Live data feed and created an event definition called Settings-Click-Button-Reset. However, I couldn't get any data when looking into the event definition. The Live data feed is tracking the clicks but it's not populating the information to the definition that I create through the Live data feed.

The event is the following:
Click On: 

button#id-1085278.btn.btn-warning.js-reset-site

Hope you can help me with this.

Best regards,

Bernardo

icon

Best answer by Daniel 6 August 2022, 01:41

View original

4 replies

Badge

Hi @bernardo.madeira , Daniel from the Solutions team here! I reviewed your Event Definition and I believe I see what is causing this.

In your provided example, the ID attribute actually contains a ‘#’ character which can cause an issue in the formatting of CSS Selectors as they also use a ‘#’ to denote IDs. It may be worth reviewing on your end as it appears these may not technically be classified as valid characters for this particular attribute. 

Fortunately, it does appear as though we can easily work around this by adding a wildcard ‘*’ character in place of where the extra ‘#’ would be in the Heap event definition. 

Updating your selector to the following should resolve the issue: 

button#*id-1085278.btn.btn-warning.js-reset-site

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your reply. So just to ensure I understood.

If I replace:

button#*id-1085278.btn.btn-warning.js-reset-site

by

button**id-1085278.btn.btn-warning.js-reset-site

Heap will probably start capturing the button clicks on the RESET button?

Best regards,

Bernardo Madeira

Badge

Hi @bernardo.madeira , no problem! That’s already the corrected version, so technically both of the ones in your response should work. The asterisk is a wildcard character and will accept all characters in its place including the ‘#’.

As with any new events, I do recommend double checking to see that you’re seeing the expected results by QAing your events via the Live Data Feed

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Daniel

I already tested both ways and I keep not having any button click data captured.