Question

Are you a PM who came from distinctly Non-PM background (think Art History major)?

• 27 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

You're a PM Pro now, but if you took a trip in the Way Back machine, what concepts/ language/ theories/ practices did you have to learn early on to really rock it out today? I'm particularly interested in hearing from folks who stumbled into their roles as PMs, and probably don't have a business studies background (like me - English Lit major). For example, I didn't know a lot about statistics when I started at Heap, so I did some reading/research on basic concepts/applications to better understand the types of data-driven decisions PMs need to make. In what areas did you need to level up or fill in gaps before you REALLY got it?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

For me, the main skills that a person transitioning into PM has to bring are more on the “soft skills” side of the house. Stakeholder management has been crucial for my success, adapting your communication style depending on who you’re dealing with (from engineering to commercial) and being able to translate that message from one side to the other. These skills can be developed really in most disciplines and will set you up for success when you decide to make the move!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@marsan thanks so much for sharing! That’s really interesting perspective… I’ve been all wrapped up in trying to understand how to make up the tech deficit that I didn’t even think about soft skills. PMs definitely need to have nuanced communication skills.