Solved

Dashboard instances should be able to be saved with different filters applied

• 17 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

We create dashboards all the time but the way heap is designed now, you have to make so many reports to support different views.  The main problem stems from fact that dashboards cannot be saved with filters applied (at the dashboard level).

Scenario:

I have 2 product lines:  Foo and Bar.

I want to have a dashboard that shows:

1. Traffic to Foo product pages
  2. Sign Up conversion for Foo
  3. Purchase Conversion for Foo

The natural thing you want is to create 3 generic reports that can be filtered on product line.  You add these 3 reports to a dashboard and save one instance of it filtering (at the dashboard level) for Product=Foo, and another version of the SAME dashboard, but filtering product=bar.

This then allow me to have 3 reports powering 2 dashboards.  My only choices now are:

1. have 3 reports with 1 dashboard and teach everyone how to use filters
  2. create 6 reports (3 filtered on Foo, and 3 filtered on Bar) and create 2 unique dashboards

Heap would be so much more powerful if my ideal scenario was possible.  It also reduces the sheer  # of reports we have.

icon

Best answer by Emily Brodman 23 June 2022, 02:20

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks, Trevin! We’re definitely interested in making dashboards more useable, especially for folks who may not be Heap experts, and pre-saved dashboard filters is an interesting approach to handling those today.

I’ve heard of Heap users creating those filtered versions and bookmarking them to share them with teammates -- the way dashboard filters work today, the parameters are contained in the URL so a bookmark or shared link with the filter values pre-applied (e.g. traffic contains foo, traffic contains bar, etc.) are captured in the URL. I know that’s not pre-applied to the dashboard as a saved option when you load the dashboard, but would having those “saved bookmarks” accessible in the dashboard suit your needs, or is there something else missing? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Thanks, Trevin! We’re definitely interested in making dashboards more useable, especially for folks who may not be Heap experts, and pre-saved dashboard filters is an interesting approach to handling those today.

I’ve heard of Heap users creating those filtered versions and bookmarking them to share them with teammates -- the way dashboard filters work today, the parameters are contained in the URL so a bookmark or shared link with the filter values pre-applied (e.g. traffic contains foo, traffic contains bar, etc.) are captured in the URL. I know that’s not pre-applied to the dashboard as a saved option when you load the dashboard, but would having those “saved bookmarks” accessible in the dashboard suit your needs, or is there something else missing? 

i think saved dashboard bookmarks could be a way to do it but we don’t want to each team member to save them.  This should be a native heap capability

one way to potentially do this is to keep notion of dashboard as it is today except on the dashboard you have a configurable list of presaved filters, with ability for us to give custom names.  When you choose a preset, it then adds the filters and sets them to certain values. 

then we could have a dashboard called “Conversion” and then presets for product line A vs B vs C  

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey Trevin!  What you’re asking for sounds a lot like Custom Views in Tableau.  We use them all the time.  They’re handy for when you want to save multiple filter selection to make it easier for customers (or yourself).  With Tableau, there’s the option to have personal or public views.  It would be a great feature to have in Heap and would result in us having fewer dashboards/reports.