New UI

• 25 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello Heap community! 
I’m new in product management and taking data-driven decisions is challenging to know what is the best way to act. So I have a question hoping you guys can give me some clarity for my decision. 
A bit of context: in my company, we use Heap for tracking (which I love) but we are soon to release a new version of our app, this version was a total makeover so nothing is the same.  
So my questions are:

• What will be the recommended action here, we of course do not want to delete all the data from the current version because we want to compare the metrics. So is creating a different project the best thing to do? or continue in the same one? 

I hope my question was clear and thanks in advance for your helpful answers. 

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hey @Ximena — The answer depends on the details but here’s my pick for the two most important things to consider:

1. Is it a wholly new aesthetic/structure or effectively a wholly new app with new functionality?
    1. If the functionality is mostly the same, but the design is changing, and therefore the markup is changing, then it is probably worth keeping the data flowing in the same environment, and maintaining event continuity via combo events etc. This becomes a governance exercise.
    2. If the functionality is completely different then perhaps there’s no virtue to going through such a governance exercise, and instead starting a new project might be optimal, clean slate, etc. This becomes an implementation exercise.
  2. Is it important to you to analyze historical data with new data (either in series for continuity, or period-over-period for comparison)?
    1. It may not be useful or interesting to maintain continuity, or it may be critical. If your answer to #1 is that it’s similar/same functionality but it’s aesthetically different, then making it easy to see if your new design has made things better or worse is critical. If not, maybe not.
    2. If you have a data warehouse, and Heap Connect is part of your account, you could have your cake and eat it, by splitting the apps into their own projects, and analyzing historical data at a high level downstream. Even if the product is changing in a fundamental way, it will be informative to see if your user acquisition and adoption metrics change for the better or worse.

I hope this helps you make your decision!