Solved

How to import historical data from another heap account?

• 6 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

I was told I can take all-time heap export which contains user_data.json, events.json, user_migrations.json, raw_event_data.json, raw_pageview_data.json, raw_visit_data.json and import it into new account. I have searched the community, help documentation and do not see the option.  Where and how can this be done?

Thank you,

Chris

icon

Best answer by davetee 6 December 2022, 20:24

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @Christru - I’ve escalated to Heap Support to assist. 

Badge

Hello, I have a similar question. Is there any documentation about the solution that was implemented for this scenario?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hello, I have a similar question. Is there any documentation about the solution that was implemented for this scenario?

Hi @aflagler

At this time, you can only export the data outside of Heap and then perform the analysis downstream by joining in across both datasets.

The only method to import the data would be to build your own pipeline with our Server-Side track APIs. Doing so requires you to know the Users Identity and that all of the data will be server-side and thus won’t be client-side sessionized like you would normally expect. This is acceptable if your data is all server-side but if your data is client-side it makes it more difficult to manage.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

The original question potentially misses the point about those files. Those files are what Heap would supply to customers that are leaving Heap, because we believe in data portability. 

These files have nothing to do with moving data between Heap accounts. If that’s the use case, you should probably be talking to your customer success manager or sales, because there are probably far easier ways to accomplish whatever it is you’re trying to do.