Solved

Active User Metric Computed From Average of Timespan

• 22 September 2022
  • 4 replies

i want to generate a DAU metric card, but not based on a single day -- e.g., today or yesterday -- but on an average of DAUs over a specific timespan -- e.g., last 7 days.

something like the following formula: Average(DAU1, DAU2, … DAU7)

if i graph DAU with Date Range = “Last 7 Days” and Grouped By = “Day” and format as “Table”, the aggregating metric (far-right) is Average.  this value is exactly what i want, but i want the value displayed via a Metric Card; unfortunately, the metric card, in this case, will only be the DAU value from the previous (or current?) day.

while this is a specific use case i describe, more generally i wanted to analyze unique counts and run those through an aggregation formula -- in this example, Average -- for display as in a Metric Card.

Note: i want this metric card as an element in a Heap dashboard.  i recognize i could output a CSV of the results, and compute the Average elsewhere, but that is not feasible for my broader usage.

icon

Best answer by Christy H 4 October 2022, 20:31

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hey @steve-at-latch!

I’m not sure if this is exactly what you’re asking for but would this satisfy your needs? It doesn’t give you an average as you mentioned but you can see the trend week over week. Otherwise, can you send more about the visualization you are hoping to see?

thanks for the reply @Christy H.

what you present above is generally what i have been doing; the query is similar, but yours presents a graph, where i specifically want a metric card.

if you change your chart above to display a metric card, you will get a result, but it will be the last value in the graph.  i want instead an average of all the values, since that is more accurate by smoothing out any  fluctuations between data points.

my specific use case is for an average of DAUs, but as noted, this is really a general ask: i want to be able to run a formula -- in my case, Average -- across a series of data points -- in my case, DAUs -- with the goal of displaying via a metric card.

i am building out a dashboard with specific metrics, many are a resultant value, as opposed to displaying time-series graphs.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thanks @steve-at-latch , that makes more sense. Unfortunately, we don’t have the ability to do that in Heap at the moment (though I will be sure to add a product request). The only other thing that I can offer right now is a suggestion to use the “Trailing average” checkbox in the graph.

This checkbox changes your graph from individual day counts to the average of the past 7 days, 4 weeks, or 3 months depending on your chosen granularity. Note that checking this box will cause your results to appear as calculated averages that look like decimals.

thanks @Christy H 

yes, please submit a product request.  the need for applying formulas on the data, in particular for a metric card, would be extremely helpful.  in particular, it allows us to report more accurate metrics to our stakeholders.  nonetheless, thanks for the guidance overall.