Solved

Android Visual Labeling stopped working

• 19 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello, 

I use visual labeling very frequently in conjunction with out Android app. As of two days ago I can no longer pair my Android device, and as a result can no longer use the visual labeler. 

I checked with our lead Android dev, and he is also no longer able to pair his Android device to the visual labeler. He is at a different location than me. 

Can you please help me figure out why this is no longer working? I rely on this feature heavily to ensure that my dashboards and graphs are accurately built. 

Thanks,

Josh 

icon

Best answer by jack-schneider 21 April 2023, 15:56

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Josh,

This normally happens due to network issues, but as you mentioned you and your dev is from different location and you both are not able to pair yoyr device, in that case it is not the issue with the network.

This happened for me once and it got resolved by updating the Heap SDK (I had not updated it for long and was using a old version), with the update the issue resolved and I was able to pair my device again.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply, Bhupender. 

However, I don’t believe that an outdated Heap SDK is the issue. In fact, this issue started happening right after we updated to the newest Heap SDK. 

Josh

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thank you for the information, Josh!

I will keep it in my mind to check visual labeling when updating to the new version.😄

A request if you can share the SDK version you are using right now, you can get this information by creating a graph in Heap, where you get the total events/unique users on any of the active android event and group by the “Mobile Library Version”. This will help me and other Heap members viewing this topic, inspect the version for any bugs.

This seems to be a issue with the SDK or it’s implementation, I would suggest you reach out to the Heap’s support team via “support@heap.io” with the related information and they can definitely help you get it fixed.

Will wait for you to share the solution by the support team, in case I also face this issue in the future.
Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @jp_designer, you are correct that the root cause of the Visual Labeler not pairing is due to your upgrade to the new SDKs. Currently, the latest versions of the new SDKs do not support the mobile visual labeler. However, these new SDKs have several improvements to the data captured, which we believe will enhance your experience in analyzing mobile data. We understand that this limitation was not clearly communicated in our documentation or in-app, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. If the visual labeler is essential for your workflow, you may wish to revert to the legacy SDKs for the time being. However, if you're interested in speaking with our team to learn more about the benefits of the new SDK, we would be happy to discuss them with you.