Solved

Excluding Sessions Based on an Event

• 22 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hello All!

I am wondering if there is a way to exclude a session based on an event.

Background

My company uses impersonation to enter customer accounts.  Our emails are not associated with this action, it is as if we are the customer.  However, after reviewing hundreds of User Session, I isolated the two distinct paths impersonating users take and created a segment based on a sequence of events that occur in 10 seconds. But that is where I get stuck.

Questions I am trying to answer

• How many user sessions did not include this user segment?
  • How many users had a session this month, but the sessions did not include this particular sequence?

What I am trying to avoid

Removing the segment completely from the session/user counts, because some sessions could actually be my customer.

icon

Best answer by bchoe 23 July 2022, 01:38

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Shona,

Brian from Heap Support here. Great question! We first want to clear up the following concern:

What I am trying to avoid
Removing the segment completely from the session/user counts, because some sessions could actually be my customer.

It looks like you are not identifying users so customer records will always be separate from internal user records. In general, until someone is identified in Heap, they are an anonymous user. Heap automatically assigns an anonymous user ID value to all users based on the browser used. When your internal users impersonate a client, they will most likely be using a different browser than the client. Under these circumstances, your internal users and production users will have different user_ids and thus will be different users in Heap.

As you’ve done already, creating a segment for users who have done those sequences of events should allow you to remove sessions done by your internal users. For your question:

How many user sessions did not include this user segment?

You could set-up a chart to find the number of sessions within a specific date range where the users are not in your Impersonation segment:

gtKZkPMbRg_glwVYMls6GgFAAsd89-zvmYL9epbgsysHSjzONfJ3y8maADbGt1YP9tKzBi5HeBBPjbyCid-FpgZfxNDDj8rZq1K982o64AYGTws4Seu1iDD_8Ub4w-JG5K_tCwdkYhFPR_3ARlghkw

For your other question:

How many users had a session this month, but the sessions did not include this particular sequence?

tyT0CRW34e1xsRlmOsk2dzD67o6eGgXgQwNPFym_liE7yoYVevbj8HIDSPWnJdmBc1E0eFKvRMHsHnGevE4MVBv273oTdB4u1cNlBl1ZVwFOsTDDBWNCb87ZxwszKaPPKvUKMvnkRxpydzo8uQ09dQ

You can select the option of ‘Count Unique’ to find the number of users who have recorded a session in the past 30 days and those users are not in your segment. This analysis pattern should work for you since your internal users and production users will be separate users in Heap.

I hope this information helps you and others in our Heap community. Let me know if you have any questions!