Solved

Export text inputs

• 9 April 2022
  • 1 reply

I’m trying to find the exact search queries that our users are entering. I just want a table that has a user property and the search terms they input. I can’t for the *life of me* figure out how to get this information out of Heap. 

I’ve tried creating a snapshot but I can’t get an actual report of the info to know if its even working. I followed the instructions for this specific use-case but I don’t know how to see the information.

At a user level I can see event properties that exist with the query and open text information but I can’t figure out how to get them out or see them in a consumable format.

I just want to export a csv that has a record for each time a specific event happened, with all the standard event properties AND the custom event properties. Is that possible??

icon

Best answer by jonathan 9 April 2022, 02:26

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hey @mittlk: Let’s walk through how this should work, and if it doesn’t help, I’d encourage you to contact support@heap.io so you can share specifics and they can help debug your setup. 

First, an event to report on when your users search, and a Snapshot to capture the search terms, often looks something like this. For example, a search field with an id of search-bar…

<input id="search-bar" type="text" placeholder="Search...">

…would be defined like this:

An example event capturing the search term entered by a user

A few minutes after you set this up, Heap should start capturing the text that users enter. Remember that Snapshots are capturing new data, so the event will be retroactive (you’ll see the historical data) but the property won’t be.

Now, we don’t currently provide a table view of individual instances of the events, as you are looking for, but you can report on the aggregate data. (If you need access to the raw data, you might consider Heap Connect.)

In Graph, you’ll set up a report like this, counting the event, and grouping by the Search Term. 

Charting the event and analyzing the most popular search terms

You can add other properties to group by, such as any user property, or other event properties like Device Type or Browser, etc..

Hope this helps! If you’re struggling to get your Snapshot working, definitely reach out to support@heap.io so they can assist you.