Solved

I have users that are dropping off from my funnels but they appear in the sessions

• 7 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Background...I have a funnel that tracks signups from a landing page. I am testing it out to see if it is working. However, sometimes a user is not captured in the funnel even though I know they went through the flow. Upon investigation, I see them in the sessions clicking all the right buttons/links but for what ever reason they don’t always appear in the funnel. 

Further, it appears one user is actually duplicated and the association to their ID is lost. What could be causing this behavior?

icon

Best answer by jonathan 7 April 2022, 20:43

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@JValle For the user to appear in the funnel, they must have done the relevant events in order, and that activity must be associated with the same user record, as Heap sees it.

What does that mean? It means either they have the same Heap-assigned User ID property (which is set in a cookie) or they have the same Identity as set by you (which is set by making an identify API call).

A number of things could be causing what you’re seeing, and I’d encourage you to contact support@heap.io to share specifics that might not be appropriate for this forum. But some possibilities that could lead to split users affecting a funnel are:

1. Your funnel crosses two different root domains, resulting in different cookied User IDs.
  2. Your funnel is on the same root domain but you are calling the resetIdentity API.
  3. Either of the above and you are not calling the identify API to join the users.

Here’s some additional reading on using the identify API. You may need to talk to your engineering team about implementing this.

Thanks, @JValle, for the great question.  Jonathan, thanks for the thoughtful response.