Solved

# of Activities

• 6 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi folks, how can I get the # of activities (events) a user has had in the product in a given day?

icon

Best answer by jonathan 7 April 2022, 21:45

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@jiefang My recommendation would be to make a Combo Event of all the key activities that you want to report on in aggregate. Then go to Analyze > Events > Event Count (or go directly to Graph), choose Count, and then choose your combo event. 

To get the count per individual user, add a Group By, and choose either User ID, or Identity, or perhaps an Email property (as appropriate, and as suits your needs). Set your date range and bucket size, then run the query. 

Alternatively, you can get the average count of activities per user by creating a Ratio graph with Count {Combo Event} as the numerator (the “top” query) and Count Unique {Combo Event} as the denominator (the “bottom” query). Set your date range and bucket size, then run the query. 

if this doesn’t help, would you mind expanding on your use case? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

thanks @jonathan for the detailed feedback!

I actually don’t have target activities in mind in this analysis, but rather I’m more interested in knowing how many things a user has done (e.g., how many clicks). Hoping to see a usage pattern of that user across his days in the product. For example, day 1 - 300 activities, day 2 - 500 activities, day 3 - 200 activities.  From the general usage to see how sticky this user is. 

Using the combo events is a good idea, but it’ll require me defining all possible events - this takes much time, and i’m just trying to get some quick insights, if that makes sense.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Thanks for clarifying @jiefang! Most activity, on the web at least, is pageviews and clicks. Pageviews is already generally defined for you (it’s a “builtin” event), though you may want to create an event specific to pageviews within your app (i.e. exclude your marketing pages). Clicks can be broadly defined as a click on any element by using the `*` wildcard. As with pageviews, you may wish to add a filter for a domain or path pattern that restricts the engagement to within your app. (I added a couple examples to illustrate.)

The queries I suggested in the previous post would still be useful with these two events: aggregating the Count by User ID, or Identity, or Email; or, a ratio of the Count over the user count (Count Unique).

If you wanted to include any Change event and/or Submit event, you can follow the above pattern (and even Combo the generic click/change/submit events to get a count of all autocaptured interactions). 

Userlevel 3
Badge

thanks a ton @jonathan - super helpful! great to learn the use of wildcard in event definition.