Solved

Organic path through a site?

• 2 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out where people go after hitting our homepage. I don’t want to know if they go to a specific place (an event).

I want to know what their organic path is through the site without predefining a next step.

Is there a way to do that in Heap?

Thanks,

Anne

icon

Best answer by Matt B 2 May 2023, 20:19

View original

3 replies

Badge

Hi Anne, 

The Journeys functionality is really intended to address this very use case. Please give the Help Center article on Journeys a look to learn more. In short, Journeys can help you understand the various user paths/flows from an event. This uses Heap’s Autocaptured Data to event show you events that you may not have named yet. Feel free to give the article a look to see if it helps you with this use case. 

Best,

Matt

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Anne, Hi Matt,

As @Matt B described above, Journey chart in Heap could be a good option for you to go and check the paths taken by your users.

I have one more suggestion, for your use case “just knowing which pages your users are visiting right after the Homepage” and excluding the factor of directional path (without any pages in between), you can use “usage over time” graph with below mentioned filters to have the required metrics:

Total Events: Event of Pageview

Filter: Previous Page equals "/" (your homepage path here) & Path does not equal "/"

Group By: Path
Getting the Pages user land on from Homepage

This would help you understand the just next page to Homepage, however, to understand the complete path of your users through the site you can use Journey Chart as mentioned by Matt.

Hope this helps!

Hi Anne, 

The Journeys functionality is really intended to address this very use case. Please give the Help Center article on Journeys a look to learn more. In short, Journeys can help you understand the various user paths/flows from an event. This uses Heap’s Autocaptured Data to event show you events that you may not have named yet. Feel free to give the article a look to see if it helps you with this use case. 

Best,

Matt

Hey Matt! I’m stuck on the same question as Anne, but when creating a Journeys chart and looking at the Most common interactions after my chosen page, the suggestions are events that I have already defined beforehand with a different name. For example in the below screenshot you can see the event that Heap is suggesting: /Company/*. However, this event is already defined by me a couple of days ago with the name View - Dealflow - Company About.

I’m new using Heap so maybe I haven't defined my events correctly and that’s why Heap isn't pairing the 2 events up? Any help here will be appreciated 😊

Thanks.