We have noticed that some user accounts are not being accurately tracked by Heap. I wanted to post what we are seeing here and see if anyone has seen something similar before.
First, some details:
- We use heap to track user both on the website (both publicly-accessible and login-required parts) and on emails we send using SendGrid.
- Our Heap instance is installed using Google Tags.
- For us to email users using SendGrid, they first must register on the website.
- As a part of user registration, we pass certain custom details about the user to Heap.
We noticed discrepancies of two types:
- For some users (about 10% of accounts), Heap seems to only track the email activity. We found no records for website usage for those users.
- For some users (about 3-4%), Heap tracks activity on the website, but Heap record doesn’t contain the information we pass to Heap (associated user email the custom details I mentioned above).
- For 10% of accounts issue: Would it be the case that Heap get blocked by ad blockers? We were under the assumption that it doesn’t because of this article - https://help.heap.io/data-privacy/industry-updates/heap-and-third-party-cookies/. Or does it happen because we use Heap as one of the Google Tags?..
- For 3-4% of accounts issue, what do you think the reason is? Is it because of the reason described in this article, or is it more likely to be something else? - https://help.heap.io/analysis-examples/unexpected-results/im-seeing-a-difference-in-data-between-heap-and-another-analytics-tool/
Any help would be much appreciated!