Solved

Why are custom defined user properties inconsistent?

• 9 February 2023
  • 5 replies

This is my heap environment. We have added user properties but it appears for some and doesnt for others. 

We set these props on login. Any help here will be really awesome.

Why would someone reset password if they havent logged in?

On the other hand here’s a happy scenario:

icon

Best answer by Nora-Heap 9 February 2023, 17:56

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi Prashant,

Thanks for sharing these screenshots. Looking at that first user, the only activity that user has done is viewing the /reset_password page, which is likely not a post-login page. Because those user properties are only set on login, they are likely not being sent on the reset identity page (which makes sense!). For this reason, we only expect that user ID to get user properties once they return and actually log into your app. 

Alright, but there is still a bit of inconsistency when it comes to custom props. why would that be happening? Any help here will be appreciated.

As in, our props get defined sometimes and sometimes they dont. could we get on a short call sometime over video conference? 

We could be messing up as well, just wanna get this rectified..

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi Prashant, 

I’m not available to jump on a call, sorry for the inconvenience! Here are my general top tips for troubleshooting user properties:

1. Since not every user logs in, not every user will have custom user properties. First assess which of the users who have logged in are not getting user properties.
  2. From this group of users try to look for any behavioral patterns. Is there a specific page or path they have all visited? This will help you narrow down where your team may have missed an API call. Using whatever patterns you find, reach out to the engineer who worked on this implementation (see below). 
  3. Try a test yourself with a new user in an incognito tab. You can find your user ID by filtering in the Live View section for your own events, and then look up that user ID in the User Sessions section. Did you get the correct user properties in your own test?

I recommend engaging with the engineer who worked on the custom user property implementation. Things to check with them:

1. Run a quick audit with them to check where the addUserProperties code has been deployed. Make sure it matches all the pages it needs to fire on. 
  2. Confirm addUserProperties is only called after the Heap snippet on the page, or that addUserProperties is placed after heap.load() in the main install snippet. 

I also saw you started a new thread in community, I’ll get to that shortly!