Strategy question: How do you track pageviews for multi-page reports

• 20 September 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
  • Heap Champion
  • 7 replies

We have several two-page reports. Each page has a unique URL so we can track usage of both pages. When a user opens one of these reports, they are taken to one of the two pages, the report’s landing page. I’m inclined to count views of both tabs as views of the report rather than only count views of the landing page for the report. My reasoning is: users can go to the second page of the report directly through a bookmark or direct link. Only counting the landing page would exclude those users if they don’t also visit the first page of the report during their session. The report views can be broken down by page for deeper analysis. On the flipside, counting both pages of the report means if a user views both pages, it will show up as two views of the report (when looking at total views rather than unique views). 

I’m curious if others have encountered this type of issue and, if so, how they managed it. Or, how might you handle this type of situation if you have not encountered it before?

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’ve received no responses to this query but I decided to count only the landing page as a view of the report. Each page has a unique URL. Counting only the landing page means users who go directly to page two of the report will not be counted if they do not view page one. However, I made the decision after reviewing the data in Heap and seeing a negligible number of users viewed page two without ever viewing page one (0.06% of total users). Counting views of the second page of a multipage reports as a separate view of the report inflates the total views of the report by 10%. Additionally, I can analyze usage of each page independently if stakeholders want to drill deeper to understand individual page usage. If others have opinions, I’d love to hear them!