Solved

Attribution of marketing channel by discount code

• 26 July 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Our customers are able to use a discount code on checkout.

Each of our referral partners has a unique discount code.

We currently log a server-side event for all purchases, which includes the discount code used.

We’d like to use the discount code to help inform the original marketing/ acquisition channel that the user came in from.

e.g. if we get direct traffic, which can’t be otherwise attributed, we’d like to attribute it to the referral partner based on the discount code that was used.

We’d then like to be able to report on this, so we can get a complete picture of our channels.

The challenge we are encountering is that the discount code is present on the purchase Event, but I want to run the reports based on the User who made the purchase. i.e. what is the discount code used in the first purchase event for the User.

How could we accomplish this in heap? or is their another approach that we could take?

icon

Best answer by Christy H 4 August 2023, 18:45

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @Nick C,

Based on your question, I think that a query like the one below in the Usage over time module might get you the data that you need. Try it out and let us know if it answers your question.

Users who started doing will identify users who first started to make a purchase within the timeframe that you select. The by grouping my identity and discount code you’ll get a table showing you which users who started purchasing used which discount code.