Custom defined properties are inconsistent

• 17 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I am using client-side addUserProperties API to add custom properties for users. However it is inconsistent. I only see for my user. Check below screenshot. Is there any discrepancy?

But I don’t see for other user. Screenshot below

Also, how can I use those properties in charts for additional analysis.

Thanks,
Ronak

3 replies

Badge

Hello! Thanks so much for your question. A couple of followups:
1) Are you using the client side or server side API?
2) Is it also possible that these properties aren’t available for other users?

Badge +1

We are using client side API. Other users are no different than mine. I dont see any reason why these properties are not available for other users.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hey @Ronak-Panda: Hopping in for @mshah . I checked our backend and raw logs and don't see any calls to addUserProperties API in the last few days except for one user (firstName: Basia, new user 4 days ago). I'd recommend reviewing your implementation for:

a) issues fetching or pushing this data to the client;
b) the code that calls the API itself, maybe there's a timing issue or an edge case bug.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's most like b) but it could be both. If the values you fetched from the server were null, the call would noop, and I'm not seeing any telemetry suggesting this is happening over the past week. But check things end-to-end to be safe. Since you are testing in a development environment, perhaps hop on a zoom with your colleagues and do a screen share. Filter for `heap` in the the network tab in your devtools, and look for calls going out to an `/add_user_properties_v3` endpoint. You may also see a `telemetry` endpoint. These should be helpful in figuring out what’s up.

If you need to get into it more and share code details, you might want to reach out to support@heap.io.

As for querying them in analysis, you weren't seeing them in the drop-downs due to a latency bug we were dealing with (many posts about that in the forum over the past few days). The incident is over, but because your volume is low, and the API calls weren't being received, it wasn't resolving for you. I pushed a manual fix for you. Everything should be working now as expected.