Solved

Do I need to recreate common events across my page? E.g. Add to cart event on each product display page vs on the homepage.

• 2 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hello I am a product manager that inherited Heap as the data analytics platform. We are a medium sized ecommerce site that sells on Shopify. We have multiple product categories and multiple products within each category.

I want to measure how many users add to cart on the product display page for Category A vs Category B. I know I can manually create a global add to cart and filter by the path of each product per category, but we have a catalog of over 500 products which would take forever. Is there a better way to do this? Or by creating the event with the visual labeler once, does it account for the category we have?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Upasna 5 July 2023, 11:37

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello!

Before answering your question I just want to understand that  do product description page have any kind of unique attribute or element in the URL which  indicates the category. This could be a query parameter, hash value, or any other distinct identifier that differentiates products belonging to different categories.

Eg: www.example.com/products/categoryA/product123

www.example.com/products/categoryB/product124

Thanks

Badge +1

Unfortunately we have a unorganized catalog. Our category collections pages have different paths then the PDP of each product within a category. For example if you click into a category that shows the collection of products in that category you will have:

1. /collections/categoryA
  2. /collections/categoryB
  3. /collections/categoryC

If you then click into a product display page for each category you will have the path:

1. /products/product-1
  2. /products/product-2
  3. /products/products-3

In this example product 2 and 3 can be different category but will be pulled from /products. If I’m not mistake, this is a constraint on how Shopify enriches our front-end.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

Thank you for providing the information.

Here are a few solutions we can consider:

Previous Page Property:
We can leverage the "previous page" property in the filter  to determine the category from which the product was added to the cart. By using this method, we can compare multiple categories using a verses graph and obtain information about the product's category.

However, it's essential to be aware of the limitations. This method might not be entirely accurate if the user refreshes the page or directly accesses the Product Detail Page (PDP) without navigating through other categories before adding the product to the cart. In such cases, the "previous page" property might not be available or could lead to no data results.

Suggestion:

To enhance accuracy, it would be beneficial to include the category in the URL of the product page to which it belongs. By doing so, we can have a more reliable way of determining the product's category, regardless of the user's navigation behavior. This URL-based approach would provide a consistent and precise means of identifying the product's category.

If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to ask.

Thanks!