Solved

Next destination after homepage?

• 16 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

We’re contemplating a homepage redesign for an internal product documentation site. We’re trying to figure out where folks who enter the site through the homepage go immediately after that to help inform how we structure the homepage content.

I’m not sure if my initial event (attached image) is capturing all the people who start from our homepage.

Any advice is most welcome.

Thank you,

Anne

icon

Best answer by Christy H 17 August 2023, 00:17

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @annedoughertynm ,

Your event looks like it is setup to properly capture any views of the homepage on your site. However, it won’t necessarily capture someone landing or starting on that page when you go to use it in analysis.

Instead, when you build your charts you may want to use the default Session event in Heap and then add an event filter that signifies that the landing page is your site’s homepage. I’ve included an example below of what this event level filter might look like. Does that help?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Christy H 

First, thank you for the reply and with your patience with me getting back to you. I was OOO for a significant amount of time this summer for health reasons.

QQ: Why “landing page” and not “initial landing page” ? Can you help me understand the difference?

Best,

Anne

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@annedoughertynm ,

First, I hope you are feeling better! In Heap, many properties have both a standard and an Initial property.

The Initial property, Initial Landing Page in this case, will tell you the very first landing page that a user landed on in the first session where Heap was tracking them. However, Heap also captures the landing page for any subsequent session that it captures. The Initial property is tied to the user and will not change while the standard property will be attached to the relevant session/event for each visit that the customer has.

Does that help clarify the distinction for you?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It does help. Thank you. It seems like I am doing something wrong as I don’t appear to have access to the Landing Page property, only the Initial Landing Page.

I’ll keep poking around in our Heap instance.

Thank you again for the help,

Anne