Solved

Can you create events based on only part of a URL?

• 21 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Here is my problem: 

• User A navigates to some URL that says website.com/custom/12234
  • User B navigates to some other URL that says website.com/custom/13324

The content within both URLs is the same (or not significantly different enough to track), however, they are custom dashboards that are configured at the user level. What I want to do is basically track how many page views are at website.com/custom/ in order to get a total usage of custom pages. As of now, I can only see how many people are using their specific custom page. 

Is this possible? 

Let me add, I realize this can be done via a Usage Over Time Chart -- You can add a Pageview with a filter where the Path contains ‘website.com/custom/’ and it’ll work. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by DJ East 22 February 2023, 14:55

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi there, based on your last sentence you’ve discovered the ‘in the moment’ way of filtering in Charts, but you can also define this as an Event right from that view (you should see a small ‘Define this Filter as an Event’ button next to the filter you created). You can also set it up manually through Definitions, just create New Event, name it something like “Dashboard View” with the condition ‘Path Contains website.com/custom’ to capture this activity and ignore the trailing numbers. FYI, if you need to do something trickier, you can use a wildcard… so if you have ‘website.com/custom/23511/admin_settings’ you can define that with a Wildcard Contains ‘website.com/custom/*/admin_settings’.

Badge +1

Thanks a ton, I totally missed the ability to add a condition with Path on the event creation menu. This is it.