Solved

How do you segment users by custom property?

• 21 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

We created some custom properties - for example a users company so that we could more effectively segment them. I am looking in the segment properties and it’s not there. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by DJ East 22 February 2023, 17:07

View original

7 replies

Badge

Hello! 
You can go to “users and sessions”, filter on a property, and then save it as a segment! If you’re not seeing the property in a filter, you may want to ensure that the property is verified. Hopefully this helps. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I get the process of doing it, but i can’t see the custom properties we created anywhere. aside from the user sections. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I am kind of stuck here and I think it’s a bug. However I can’t report a bug as we are evaluating the product. My boss said we won’t buy the product unless we can have segmentation by company (custom properties). So I can’t raise a bug and can’t get the product to raise the bug.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi there, happy to try to help out, is the ‘company’ property being sent through via our API AddUserProperties, or is it a Defined Property (generated from something like the Query field, i.e. ‘?company=example’)? The latter is not supported in Segments today (though there are workarounds depending on how it’s defined) but the former should definitely be usable, you may have been affected by the recent glitch around properties not appearing in searches, if so I can check into that for you. Let me know!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

We are using the API.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In that case, it should definitely allow you to create Segments using those properties, sounds like this is related to a recent issue with dropdown population, it’s been resolved but some lower-volume accounts may need to be refreshed manually (you can also try sending us some AddUserProperties API calls again, that will sometimes kick off the process). Please DM me your App ID and I’ll work with support to get it resolved!