Solved

Filtering out Internal users

• 23 August 2023
  • 5 replies

I have an existing segment that our internal employees will fall into sometimes, and I’d like to keep them out.

I found these resources:

So now, I have 2 segments. One is the segment I care about, and the other is a segment which flags the internal employees properly.

In the segment, how do I add a filter criteria to ensure the users are not *in* the employee segment I just created? The article implies this is possible, but I don’t see any way to do this under the Property drop down of the filter.

icon

Best answer by Preetam Barik 23 August 2023, 16:31

View original

5 replies

Badge +1

Hi @jbeezy ,

Hope you are doing well.

Excluding internal users is possible in Heap. Below are some of the steps you can follow to achieve the same.

1. Create a segment of internal users.
  2. Once you create the same , go to analyze and in the filter section of any reports just add a filter for “Users who are not in Segment” > “Internal users. (attached screenshot for ref.)
This will show you the data for all users except the internal one’s.

Let me know if this worked for you.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi Preetam, I see what you mean about analyzing and reporting.

Is it possible to make the definition of another segment “AND users not in segment_internal”?

Badge +1

Hi @jbeezy ,

You cannot directly use a segment with “AND” criteria to create another segment. However, you can definitely use the condition via which you have defined the internal users.

For ex: In the below screenshot I am trying to exclude my internal users on basis of email id. You can use any user property that is unique for your internal users.

If you see in this criteria I have defined a segment for Power users and I have added a “AND” condition putting the criteria to exclude internal users . Considering email as an property I have excluded all users which contains “scaletrix,ai”

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks and Regards,

Okay thanks for the clear answer.

Unfortunately the problem I’m trying to solve is that my segments have about 12 different “does not contain” filters, because our internal users are constantly using personal emails and stuff for testing purposes, and so every time I find a new one, I have to go in and make another “does not contain bob.smith” 

I was hoping that I could just maintain 1 segment, even though it’s a pain to do, and then all the other segment could have a permanent filter to not include them. That would centralize the definition of what I want to exclude.

Sounds like that isn’t possible, so I’ll probably publish the “Internal Users” segment and then train people that they have to exclude them in all reports and downstream automations themselves.

Thanks,

Badge +1

Hi @jbeezy 

You can also exclude all of the internal users by adding their IP’s to the exclude list, this would ensure all the internal activities are not recorded in Heap.

However, if you want to have interactions from internal users get captured in Heap you can also use their Identity value or a list of email ids they use and add that as an filter to the segments. 

1. Create a .txt file with all internal employees email id or identity value.
  2. Add that as a filter “email/identity” not included in the file.

Thanks and Regards,