Solved

Huge difference between users count of Sessions and Views

• 23 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi there,

I can’t seem to figure out why Heap is showing such a huge difference in unique users count between sessions and views.

In the graph below I am looking for a simple metric number, but the same happens in several different graphs, and so I am not sure which event to use anymore for a correct report.

User count with Pageview

When I use the event ‘View - Any Page’  which captures views on all but a few pages, I have around 3000 unique users

User count with Session

When instead I use the event ‘Session’, Heap captures around 49 unique users.

Why such a big difference? Am I missing some piece of info here?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

icon

Best answer by Christy H 24 August 2023, 18:24

View original

4 replies

Badge

Hi @AlessiaGRID,

The difference in unique user counts between sessions and views in Heap can be attributed to the way these metrics are calculated and the underlying behavior of users interacting with your website.

When you use the event 'View - Any Page,' you're capturing every instance where a page is loaded, regardless of whether it's a new session or a recurring session. This event might count a single user multiple times if they view multiple pages within the same session. Therefore, you see a higher count of unique users.

On the other hand, when you use the 'Session' event, Heap is capturing distinct user sessions. A session represents a single visit by a user to your website. Heap likely considers a user to be unique if they start a new session, regardless of how many pages they view within that session. This is why the 'Session' event reports a lower count of unique users.

To understand the discrepancy better, you should consider the behavior of your users. If users frequently view multiple pages within a single session, the 'View - Any Page' event will show a higher unique user count. If users tend to start a new session each time they visit your site, the 'Session' event will likely report a more accurate unique user count.

It's also worth checking if there are any issues with event tracking or configuration that might be affecting the accuracy of your data.

Ultimately, the choice of which metric to use depends on your specific use case and what you're trying to measure. If you're interested in understanding unique user behavior within a single visit, focusing on 'Session' metrics might be more appropriate. If you want to track the overall engagement across multiple pages, the 'View - Any Page' event could be more useful.

Thanks!

Badge

Hi @AlessiaGRID 

I believe I added some incorrect statements to the above answer, please ignore it.

To understand this issue better may I know if there is any data from other domains also coming to the same Project?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @AlessiaGRID ,

One of our solutions engineers tool a look at your site and it looks like there is a bit of an issue with your implementation.

When Heap loads, it appears as though it’s being blocked from setting cookies which is what we use for our sessionization logic. 

If you’d like us to help you directly troubleshoot, I recommend emailing our support team at support@heap.io who can help you get this corrected.

We’d also be happy to extend your trial so that you can take full advantage of Heap with correct data!

@Christy H 

Thank you for your reply, and happy to hear I haven’t gone completely mad!

i’ll follow your suggestion and send an email straightaway. 

Cheers!