Solved

THEE Best Way to label/defining/create events in Heap: What say all the Heaple in the House!?!?

• 24 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

QUESTION: When you search for an event in your Heap account and find that it does not yet exist, what is the primary way you prefer to label/define/create that event in Heap AND why? Please use the numbered list below to identify your preferred method. Thanks for playing!

1. Explore events page
  2. The Visual labeler
  3. Live View
  4. Manually creating one using the Event details page
  5. Other 
icon

Best answer by LinG 29 August 2023, 19:54

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I use a combination of Live view and manual creation. I prefer to read the DOM elements and make sure I'm capturing exactly what I want and that I'm using the most sensible/logical attribute to define the event. I also like to check to make sure the attribute I'm using isn't overly broad or too restrictive, which I can check using the developer tools. The biggest challenge I've found as we've grown our definitions list is maintaining it and making sure the definitions are set up effectively. E.g., setting up one definition for a reusable component and filter by path to see usage on a particular page or by product vs multiple definitions of the same component for each page it's own. Something I don't always think about at the onset.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Wow! Thanks for such a thorough response, LinG!