Question

Trying to identify and evaluate bot activity

• 20 December 2023
  • 2 replies

We are relatively new to Heap, and trying to better understand some of the ways we could use it to improve product offerings.  One idea was to see if we can identify any traffic that could be the result of a bot (perhaps a user that isn't defined as a bot User-Agent) which may highlight routine tasks that customers have automated with a bot (using one of the user’s credentials to perform those actions).  Does anyone in the community have ideas on ways in which we might be able to analyze interactions to identify bot-like activity?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

We are relatively new to Heap, and trying to better understand some of the ways we could use it to improve product offerings.  One idea was to see if we can identify any traffic that could be the result of a bot (perhaps a user that isn't defined as a bot User-Agent) which may highlight routine tasks that customers have automated with a bot (using one of the user’s credentials to perform those actions).  Does anyone in the community have ideas on ways in which we might be able to analyze interactions to identify bot-like activity?

Hi @StaceyG, have you seen our article How do I filter for bot traffic? 

Yes, but I am not sure that helps.  As I read it, it sounded like it was about filtering traffic when users were set up as bot (and then how to filter them out).  I have situations where the users aren’t defined as being a bot specifically, so trying to use some type of logic to better understand patterns that might suggest a bot is performing activity instead of a human user.